|Deep Down; Down Deep|
|Previous Issue:||New and Improved Gunk'l'dunk|
|Following Issue:||A Gift! A Gift Comes!|
On his return to the Beanworld, Professor Garbanzo shows Beanish her latest results of experimenting with the Float Factor. Mr. Spook overhears and asks Proffy to work on some long-range spears, hoping it will take her mind off the Float Factor.
That night, Gran'Ma'Pa explodes with a KA-BOOM! into a wild display of light. Terrified, all the beans run and hide in Proffy's Fix-It Shop except for Mr. Spook, who is fascinated by the wild flashing rhythmns of Gran'Ma'Pa's light. Convinced Gran'Ma'Pa is giving them a message, he dances alone until dawn while the terrified beans hide deep down.
In the morning, the beans come out and Mr. Spook makes them apologize to Gran'Ma'Pa. Unnoticed above are the three strange beings Beanish met earlier. They deliver a strange substance to Gran'Ma'Pa and then notice the Beans. Spying Beanish, they swoop down to meet him. He tells them not to mention his secret friend to anyone.
Mr. Spook demands to know what the intruders are doing in the Beanworld. After some misunderstanding, they leave singing the song "A Gift! A Gift Comes!".
Beanish once again visits his secret friend and tells her of the day's events. She reveals that the Goofy Service Jerks were delivering Reproductive Propellant, which means that baby beans are on the way!
The issue closes with the beans singing and dancing the Gift Dance in front of Gran'Ma'Pa, with Beanish wishing he could tell the other beans what the gift is.
- The distinction between beans referred to by "he" or "she" is a moiety (an arbitrary distinction not based on any physical/social/etc ability; think of a sports team).
- Proffy's headgear is linked to the workings of her Fix-It Shop.
- The remains of Der Kveen are stored in Proffy's Fix-It Shop.
- Larry Marder is interested in Hopi kachinas. This may explain some of the look of the Beanworld.
- This is the start of the second generation of beans. We learn more about the origins of the first generation in issues 20, Beanworld Zero, and 21, The First Time Professor Garbanzo Discovered The Four Realities. From now on, the issues are tightly connected rather than the one-shot issues like 6 and 7.
- The Goofy Service Jerks make their debut. They're going to play a role in the next few issues.
- This issue has the first Do-It-Yourself Beanworld contest.
- Beanish still doesn't know the name his secret friend.
|Comics: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13 • 14 • 15 • 16 • 17 • 18 • 19 • 20 • 21 • ? and ! • Every Cutie Deserves A Toy!|